Interested in what's new to Vote Smart this week? Keep reading and find out what was added to our database! Some highlights include recent primary elections, President Trump's cancellation of the summit with Chairman Kim Jong Un in North Korea, Congressional statements on the recent shootings at Santa Fe High School in Texas and in Noblesville, Indiana, and much more.
MAJOR EVENTS FROM THE WEEK:
Recent Primary Elections:
Georgia, Kentucky, and Arkansas had primary elections last week on May 22nd, 2018. Vote Smart has released the results from those elections for all levels of office. Find the results here:
Georgia: Results here
Kentucky: Results here
Arkansas: Results here
President Trump's Cancellation of Summit with North Korea:
Last week, President Trump cancelled next month's summit with North Korean Leader, Kim Jong Un.
- Read what your representatives had to say about the cancellation, as well as other important global events: Foreign Affairs Public Statements
- You can also read President Trump's letter to Chairman Kim Jong Un though this link to the White House's website: Read here
Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act - National Key Vote:
The House voted 258-159 to amend banking regulations from the Dodd-Frank Reform and Consumer Protection Act. On Thursday, President Trump signed it into law.
- Read our summary of the bill here: Read here
- Read what your representatives had to say about it, along with other finance and banking issues here: Finance/Banking Congressional Public Statements
Congressional Statements on Santa Fe High School and Noblesville, Indiana Shootings:
See what your Congressional officials had to say about the recent shootings at Santa Fe High School in Texas and in Noblesville, Indiana, as well as all other public statements on gun issues here: Congressional Public Statements on Gun Issues
National Ratings Released:
The American Conservative Union has just released their rating scorecard based on evaluations of how active Congress members voted in 2017. See how your representatives are rated here: ACU Rating Scorecard
We have released 7,000 endorsements so far this year. This page shows which groups that have released 2018 endorsements so you can see who is really supporting your representatives based on issues that matter to you: National Special Interest Groups
Vote Smart added 1,291 public statements to the database last week!
Read public statements on noteworthy topics and related issues from last week here:
- The Mueller Investigation: Congressional Public Statements on Gov. Operations
- Right to Try: Congressional Public Statements on Health and Health Care
In Congress there were three key votes.
- Protect and Serve Act of 2018: Summary Here
- Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act: Summary here
- Standard Merger and Acquisition Reviews Through Equal Rules Act of 2018 (SMARTER Act): Summary here
Keep an eye out for these up-coming additions to Vote Smart!
Up-Coming Primary Elections:
The next major primary election day is Tuesday, June 5th, 2018. There are 8 states with primary elections on that day: South Dakota, New Mexico, New Jersey, Montana, Mississippi, Iowa, California, and Alabama.
- American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) Check out their scorecard on June 1st, 2018! The rating scorecard is a 2017 Scorecard, meaning that AFL-CIO is evaluating active Congress members based on their voting record in 2017. Past Scorecards here
Vote Smart is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing accurate, unbiased information and making it accessible to all. Our expenses are paid entirely by donations. If you would like to support our help us defend democracy and fight ignorance, please help us if you can. Every dollar makes a difference.
Fight for the Facts! Donate to Vote Smart!